Thursday, January 6, 2011

Ultimate Pizza Sauce

I love making things from scratch and it pains me to buy sauces in a jar. I make my own spaghetti sauce but never have found a pizza sauce I liked. Now, after a birthday party, I found one I love. The extra sauce can be frozen as well. BONUS!!! The recipe came off of Food.com

2 TBSP olive oil
1TBSP butter
1/2 Cup onions, chopped
1/4 Cup celery, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
2 TBSP grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 small bay leaf
1 tsp fennel seeds

In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a slow simmer. Simmer for 30-60 minutes (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame). Remove the bay feaf and spread the sauce on your prepared pizza dough.

No comments: