Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

I LOVE picnics. Last summer we lived on Bainbridge Island and every Wednesday people would pack picnic dinners and go to the concert in the park. We loved our Wednesday evenings! Because I love picnics, I was given a Picnic Cookbook for my birthday and a waterproof picnic blanket. I can't wait for the weather to turn warm again and get good use out of them both. This recipe comes from the Picnic Cookbook. I added some stuff to the recipe.

I love these cookies because once they are baked they are NOT flat. They are nice a round and yummy!

2 1/4 C all-purpose flour (I used some wheat flour in place of all the white)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C milled flax seed (I added this, it is not part of the origianl recipe)
3/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 C sugar
1/2 C softened, butter
1/2 C softened, margarine (I used all butter and no margarine)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 C old-fashioned oats
1 1/2 C chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix the flour, baking soda, and salt (and flax seed, if using) in a mixing bowl.
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix sugars at low speed. Add the butter and margarine and continue to beat on low, then increase to high speed and beat until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla at low speed, then increase to high speed.
4. At low speed, add the flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time, then increase to high speed until the mixture is well blended. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.
5. Drop rounded TBSP onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the cookies from the oven and cool one to two minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely. Pack in a resealable plastic bag for the picnic.

No comments: