Friday, January 14, 2011

Zucchini Relish

One year I had 40 zucchini plants thus the need to find recipes for zuchs.

Not only do I love canning this recipe but also eating it. It's a two day process. It is wonderful on any sandwich but especially tuna sandwiches, hamburgers, hot dogs and pork. My hubby loves this stuff; he'd be hooked to a zucchini relish IV if I would let him.

Day 1
Ingredients


12 cups shredded zucchini (I shred mine in food processor)
4 cups onion (I use white, love my food processor)
2 cups finely chopped red pepper (food processor)
5 tablespoons of canning salt

Put ingredients in large pot, fill with water to cover ingredients.

Put in fridge overnight.

While leaving this mixture in the fridge for 24 hours is ideal, I have left it in the fridge eight hours and up to 48 hours.

Day two
Ingredients


2 1/4 cups vinegar (I used white distilled)
6 cups sugar (oh my, I forgot no wonder why my sweet-tooth hubby loves this stuff)
1 tsp. dry mustard
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 TB mustard seed
2 TB celery seed
1 TB tumeric
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 TB (heaping) cornstarch

•Start water canner.
•Take zucchini mixture out of fridge
•Drain as much water out of the pan as you can
•Fill sink with fresh cold water
•Put zucchini mixture in sink, let soak a few minutes
•Grab handfuls of zucchini mixture and squeeze water out
•Put zucchini mixture in pan
•Drain water from sink; fill with fresh cold water
•Do this process three times
•Put drained zucchini mixture on stove top on medium to medium high.
•Add Day 2 ingredients EXCEPT cornstarch
•Stir constantly
•Once zucchini mixture comes to a small bubbly boil and well mixed, add cornstarch
•Stir constantly until cornstarch has blended through
•The cooking process will be about 20-30 minutes
•Process in water canner (be sure water is at least warm) while zucchini mixture is hot.
•Ladle into pint or half-pint jars. Process 10 minutes.
•After tomorrow's batch I will list how many it makes.

No comments: