Thursday, January 6, 2011

New England Clam Chowder

Every year for Christmas dinner I make my husband and I this clam chowder. We even went out of state this year for Christmas and I packed all the ingredients to make it there!! It is wonderful with a homemade bread. We like it with sour dough. I got the recipe from The Complete Guide to Country Cooking.

4 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 medium onions, chopped
1/2 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 quarts milk
3 cans (6-1/2 ounces each) chopped clams, undrained
2 to 3 tsp salt
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp ground thyme
1/2 tsp celery salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Minced fresh parsely

Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cover and cook until tender, 12-15 mnutes. Meanwhile, in a soup kettle, or Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender. Add flour, mix until smooth. Stir in mil. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Drain potatoes; add to kettle. Add clams and remaining ingredients; heat through.

1 comment:

Michelle P said...

Made this the same night as I made doughnuts. Both needed cooked potatoes so that worked out well. It was super good. Nice to know I can make my own clam chowder at home! Not JUST a restaurant food. Thanks Amber. LOVE your recipes!