Saturday, January 8, 2011

Martha Stewart's Chicken Caesar Salad

Martha and I did time together. Loved listening to her talk food. We agree that you just gotta make your own croutons when making this salad.

Great dinner or luncheon for a baby shower (I served this when I gave a shower for Robin Brennan).

Makes 4 Servings
Ingredients:

4 ounces Italian bread, cut in 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
3 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
4 chicken cutlets, (each 2 to 3 ounces and 1/2 inch thick)
1 romaine lettuce hearts, (18 to 20 ounces)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, (from 2 lemons)
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 anchovy fillets, roughly chopped (optional; I don't like anchovies)
1 small garlic clove


Croutons:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Place bread on a rimmed baking sheet.
Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil,
season with salt and pepper; toss to coat.
Bake, tossing occasionally, until golden,
12 to 15 minutes; remove from oven; and let cool.

Chicken:

Heat remaining tablespoon oil in a large skillet over high.
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Cook until opaque throughout, 1 to 2 minutes per side;
remove from skillet and let cool.

Prepare lettuce:
Cut romaine crosswise into 1-inch ribbons; wash and dry.

Dressing:
In a blender, combine lemon juice, mayonnaise, Parmesan, anchovy fillets (if using), and garlic; blend until smooth. If preparing this recipe in advance, see storage instructions (below).

Storage Instructions:
If stored in refrigerator, bring chicken and dressing to room temperature. Slice chicken crosswise into strips; toss with croutons, lettuce, and dressing.

Oh and my time with Martha was when she was on Channel 6 and I was sitting in my bedroom. What were you thinking!

2 comments:

Julie D. said...

oh my goodness, you are hilarious, Delores!!! That sounds iike a great salad!

Lee Ann said...

I was thinking exactly what you thought I was thining!!!!