Monday, September 22, 2008

Welcome Fall with some SUPER YUMMY Pumpkin Bars

With fall in the air and today being it's first official day, I thought I would post this. It is a recipe I found in one of my cookbooks a few years ago and I make them a TON in the fall. They seem to be a winner and people always ask me for the recipe. WARNING: They are addicting!

Pumpkin Bars

2 c all purpose flour
2 c sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cloves
1 c oil (could probably substitute applesauce but haven't tried it YET)
1 16 oz can of pumpkin (2 cups)
4 eggs
1/2 c chopped nuts (optional - I haven't added)
1/2 c raisins (optional - I haven't added)

Frosting (This is what makes it good!)
2 c powdered sugar
1/3 c butter softened
1 3 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
1 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 350. Grease 15x10x1 inch baking pan. (I don't have one of these so I divide it up between a 9x13 and an 8x8.) In large bowl, combine all bar ingredients except nuts and raisins. Beat at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed. Stir in nuts and raisins. Pour into greased pan.

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool completely.

In a small bowl, combine all frosting ingredient; beat until smooth. Frost cooled bars. Cut into bars. Store in refrigerator. (They taste super yummy cold. Too good!)

Enjoy!
Michelle

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I haven't made anythig pumpkin yet, but I am looking forward to making these!

Julie D. said...

louette, brought these for dessert last night. SO YUMMY! Definitely putting these in my 'recipe box'.

Julie D. said...

these are my now all time favorite fall dessert to bring. everyone LOVES them.