Monday, September 1, 2008

North Carolina Pulled Pork

I lived in Wilmington, North Carolina for 5 years and I became a fan of Pulled Pork. This is different, very strong on the vinegar and a bit spicey side. I serve it with corn bread and coleslaw. Dauna ( Brad's step mom) makes the best fresh coleslaw so I am including that recipe too. In NC, you eat your pulled pork with the coleslaw on top but it is good on the side too. Don't forget the sweet tea, before you know it you will feel like you are back in the south.

NC Pull Pork

5 lbs chopped pork shoulder roast
2 c apple cider vinegar
¼ c brown sugar
1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp Worchestshire sauce
1 tsp salt
Hot pepper sauce

Mix and pour ½ over meat in glass baking dish. Cook at 325 for 3-4 hrs, until meat falls apart. (I have done this in the oven or the crock pot) Strain from juice and pour remaining sauce over meat. (Shredded).
Add hot sauce to taste
Serve with Coleslaw on buns.

Dauna’s coleslaw

1 Tbs med head cabbage, shredded
1 carrot shredded

Sauce:
½ c mayo
1 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp fresh minced onion
Can also add dab of course mustard

Cornbread

½ c cornmeal
½ c flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¼ c sugar
1 c milk
1 egg
¼ c butter

Preheat 8 x 8 pan at 400. Mix dry ingredient, add milk and egg. Stir by hand (don’t overmix). Put butter in heated pan until melted. Then add batter and cook for 15 minutes. Can double recipe in 9 x 13 pan and cook for 25 minutes.


This is a great meal, we just had it the other day with the Lowery's. Hope you all enjoy a taste of NC.

6 comments:

Julie D. said...

yummm!! Kelly, you are in the lead! :)

Lee Ann said...

This all sounds so good! I just recently realized I like coleslaw. And I've made your cornbread "gluten free" and it works great!....well as great as gluten free can be :-)

Lee Ann said...

what is a chopped shoulder roast? Is it chopped when you buy it? Do you chop it? Is that just what it's called?

KellyD said...

Pork shoulder or picnic roast work, then I chop them up before I put it in the crock pot. Hope that makes sense.

Jennifer said...

My husband really likes coleslaw and I've never thought to make it, but I'm going to make it along with (this sounds weired) BBQ meatloaf. I'll let you know how it turns out! Think I'll make the corn bread too...yum

Jennifer said...

The coleslaw was a nice change. Easy to make and so crispy and light. I will make this again, esp. in the summer