Thursday, September 18, 2008

Meatless Spaghetti Sauce

Oh my goodness. I just made this for the first time. I usually don't like homemade spaghetti sauce but this was wonderful! I had to share. The only reason I made it was because we had a ton of tomatoes from the garden. I got it from a country cooking cookbook I have.

1/2 C vegetable or olive oil
4 medium onions, chopped
1-1/4 teaspoons pepper
4 garlic cloves, minced
12 C chopped and peeled fresh tomatoes
3 bay leaves
4 tsp salt
2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
1/3 C packed brown sugar

In a large Dutch oven, heat oil. Sautethe onions and pepper until onions are tender. Add garlic, tomatoes, bay leaves, salt, oregano, and basil. Simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add tomato paste and brown sugar; simmer 1 hour more. Remove bay leaves. Serve.

No comments: