Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lowfat chocolate chip oatmeal cookies

These cookies are actually pretty good for lowfat...the only fat comes from the 2 eggs and chips. You could substitute raisins or craisins if you wanted them even more lowfat. Experiment with the additions--nuts, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, dried fruit, whatever sounds good! The texture is a lot different with lowfat cookies than regular, but the flavor is good.

1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t cloves
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking soda
1 3/4 to 2 cups flour (you might need to use more than 1 3/4 cups because there is a lot of liquid
in this recipe, so experiment)
2 1/4 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease cookie sheets.
In a large bowl mix together applesauce and sugars until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Gradually stir in dry ingredients, then fold in chocolate chips. Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets and bake 12-15 minutes. I found they need to cook on the longer side, but the texture will be soft and moist.

1 comment:

Dee said...

I was wondering if I could substitute apple sauce for the 2 cubes of butter. I've never been brave enough to try it though. I rarely bake and so when I do, I just stick to the recipe. Now I have one to stick to! Thanks!