Monday, April 7, 2008

Ham & Scalloped Potatoes


Prep: 25 minutes
Bake: 55-60 minutes
Oven: 350
Makes: 4 servings



I always double this recipe for my family size. Another great dish to use up the leftover ham.

1/2 cup onion (1 medium)
1 garlic clove, minced
2 TB butter
2 TB all-purpose flour
Dash Salt
Dash Pepper
1 1/4 cups milk
3 medium desired potatoes (I leave peelings on)
2 cups chopped, cooked ham
1 cup shredded favorite cheese (optional)

1. Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole pan (I grease my 9x13 when doubling recipe). Set aside.
2. Prep ingredients. I love my food processor for slicing the potatoes.
3. In large bowl, stir potatoes and ham.
4. Put half of potatoe mix into casserole pan.
5. Make sauce. In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter, add onion and garlic until tender. Stir in flour, salt, pepper. Add entire amount of milk all at once. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
6. Optional: Add 1 cup of favorite shredded cheese (I do for that extra flavor). Turn off burner, stir in shredded cheese into thickened sauce until melted.
7. Cover potatoes that are already in casserole pan with half of the sauce. Repeat another layer.
8. Bake, COVERED, in oven for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15-20 minutes or more until potatoes are tender.

Serve with rustic bread and a side salad and you are good to go!

Blessings,
Dee Gee

1 comment: