Sunday, March 30, 2008

Split Pea Soup - Use up that Easter ham

I know this sounds gross, but it is really good. It is my mother in law's recipe and I politely tried it several years ago when she made it, fully expecting to hate it and I ended up eating two bowls and asked for the recipe.

I use this recipe after Easter each year to use up my leftover ham and cook something with the ham bone. I made it yesterday and some gals from home group tried it and loved it and asked for the recipe so I thought I would post it for them and you all...

1 lb (2 1/2 cups) dried green split peas
1 meaty ham bone
1 1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup or more diced celery
1 cup or more diced carrots

Cover peas with 2 quarts cold water and soak overnight, OR simmer them for 2 minutes and soak 1 hour. (I always to the latter. I never think of it a night in advance.)
Add bone, onion, seasonings. Bring to boiling. Cover. Reduce heat and simmer (not boil) for 1 1/2 hrs. Stir occasionally.
Remove bone. Cut off and dice meat. Return to soup. Add veggies. Cook slowly uncovered 30-40 minutes.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Lee Ann said...

Ok, Ok, I'm gonna try it when I cook up that ham in my freezer. I think I've only tried it once.....many years ago. It was a texture thing that got me. I promise I will try it!

Tamara said...

This is SOOOO yum! I had it at Michelle's house when she made it for our home group night and it was awesome - today I tried it on my own and had a friend over who had never had split pea soup and it was SO good and SO easy - I am amazed by the very few ingredients that give this soup such flavor and texture - if you've never tried making Split Pea soup - this is the recipe for you - it is super yum - thanks Michelle!!! Now I am excited for the next time I make a ham just so I can make this soup again!