Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Blogger Challenge # 2

Quick and Easy Pierogies

This is in response to Lee Ann's convenience food challenge...finally :). I found out about pierogies from a co-worker way back when we were living in NY. For those who don't know what they are...they're kind of like big raviolis filled with mashed potatoes and cheese! I use these on nights when I need a quick meal that everyone will eat. Hope you like them too!

Buy only Mrs. T's potato and cheddar pierogies (they are the best!) in the frozen food section. I buy the huge 2lb. bag because I know I'll eventually use them, but they also come in boxes of 12. You'll need a large frying pan in order to cook them all at once. I use my electric frying pan on medium temperature. It's the only one I have that's large enough.

- Mrs. T's pierogies (count out the number that you think your family will eat (my family of 4 can eat 15).
- About a tablespoon of butter, just enough to spread around in the pan
- chopped onion to add flavor (as much as you want, I use about 1/4 cup)
- Cheddar cheese to melt over the top (as much as you want)
- top with salsa and sour cream

In a large saucepan bring some water to a boil. Place your frozen Piergogies in the pot and cook for about 2-3 minutes (until they start to float to the top and are tender). Remove from heat and drain. Meanwhile, chop your onion and preheat your frying pan to medium. Add butter to the pan and spread around. Add onion and saute just a bit to soften them up. Then add the pierogies to the frying pan so that they are all lying flat and not on top of each other. Cook on one side until lightly brown and then flip and lightly brown the other side. Turn off the heat and sprinkle the cheese on top. Cover so the cheese will melt and serve! We top ours with sour cream and salsa, yummy. Well, the kids actually like to pick theirs up and dip them in sour cream ;). Whatever it takes to get them to eat, right ladies?? The whole meal takes about 15 minutes! Serve with salad or a favorite vegetable. Enjoy!

No comments: