Thursday, March 19, 2009

Tamara's Healthy Cookies


1 cup healthy oil (i.e. olive, walnut, grapeseed - I used EVOO)
1 - 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (or unsweetened applesauce)
1 - 1 1/2 cup honey or agave
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups whole wheat flour (I used 2 1/2 cups and added 1/2 cup all purpose flour because I ran out of whole wheat flour - but you could use all whole wheat flour - you might try using whole wheat pastry flour for a lighter cookie, but I didn't)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. sea salt (I used regular salt)
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
6 cups rolled oats (not quick cooking)
1-2 cups walnuts (I ommitted this and used shredded dry coconut from the bulk bins at Fred Meyers - I don't care for nuts)
2 cups raisins or craisins (I used craisins from Costco which probably do have some sugar in them)
For a sweeter treat add 1- 1 1/2 cups "chips" - I used semi-sweet but you could use white or dark or carob chips, too.

Scoop with a tablespoon onto a greased cookie sheet - flatten cookie - I used my fingers - it is pretty sticky - you could use a glass dipped in flour, too - dip between each cookie -

Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. This makes approximately 60 cookies so you can half this recipe if that is too many. These freeze well and are very filling and satisfying - you could also probably make these into bars by pressing the dough into a Texas sheetcake pan and cutting into bars -- I might try experimenting with adding some protein powder to them, too...

2 comments:

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Glad you told me to look here! I'll definitely have a look through the recipes tomorrow when I have more time. Thanks!

Manuela

Tamara said...

Just a note - I have discovered since making these cookies that it is a long-known "People's Pharmacy" trick - coconut helps with constipation - these cookies, if made with coconut work great for kiddos (or adults) that have issues with constipation!