Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Whole Wheat Flax 'n Apple Muffins

My family really likes these muffins and they're pretty healthy.

If you haven't had milled flax seed before, buy a box and put some in anything and everything you bake. No one will know it's there, and it's really good for you.

1/4 cup milled flax seed
3/4 cup whole wheat graham flour (I just used whole wheat)
3/4 cup white flour
1/2 cup sugar (I used brown)
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups finely chopped apples
3 Tbsp. oil
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup chopped nuts
(next time Steve says to add cinnamon!)

Blend dry ingredients together in a bowl. In separate bowl; combine egg, oil and milk. Add dry ingredients to egg mixtures until just blended. Fold in apples and nuts. Batter will be thick. Fill wee-greased muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 400 for 18-20 minutes.

yield: 12 muffins.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Just getting into the flax thing. I really want to make these.

Amber said...

I made these the other day. Glad to use that flax seed. My husband really likes these. Thank you.