Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Taco Soup with Black Beans

I made this for dinner yesterday. To my surprise, my children who dislike beans actually ate it and didn't complain! I think it was the idea of eating it with tortilla chips and not a spoon that won them over. This recipe comes from Fix It and Forget It.

1 lb. ground beef, browned and drained (I used ground turkey)
28-oz can crushed tomatoes
15 1/4 oz. can corn, undrained
15 oz can black beans, undrained
15 1/2 oz can red kidney beans, undrained
1 envelope dry Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing Mix
1 envelope dry taco seasoning
1 small onion, chopped
tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream (toppings)

1. Combine all ingredients except those for toppings, in slow cooker.
2. Cover. Cook on Low for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Garnish individual servings with toppings. (we used the tortilla chips whole as spoons instead of crushing them on top)

No comments: