Sunday, February 1, 2009

The best turkey chili ever


This chili is sooo good. It's healthy, but taste like comfort food - my husband loves it! I made this for Super Bowl yesterday, it's always a hit at any gathering.

3 Tbs. Olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tbs salt
2 Tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 TBS tomato paste
1 chipotle chili en adobo, coarsely chopped, with 1 TBS sauce
1 Lb ground turkey
1 12oz. Mexican lager-style beer
1 14 1/2 oz. can whole peeled tomato with their juices
1 15 1/2 oz. can kidney or pinto beans ( I like pinto beans)
Sour cream, jack cheese, scallions, cilantro, tortilla chips for garnish


Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt, chili powder, and oregano and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 3 min. Stir in the tomato paste and the chipotle chile and sauce; cook 1 minute more. Add the turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, and cook until the meat loses its raw color, about 3 minutes. Add the beer and simmer until reduced by about half, about 8 minutes. Add the tomatoes - crushing them through your fingers into the skillet - along with their juices and the beans; bring to a boil. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until thick, about 10 minutes. Ladle into bowls and serve with garnish of your choice. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Lorrene said...

That sounds so good. I wonder if it would be good without the beer.
I never have beer on hand.

Eryn said...

yummm! That sounds really tasty. So do your cookies below. I may make those today!

Eryn said...

ps...the little grandma who commented is cute...anybody know her?

Lee Ann said...

MMMMM sounds good.

Julie D. said...

yummy. loved this. a slightly different flavor for chili with the chipotle. I wouldn't leave the beer out only because it is a lot of the liquid in this and a lot of flavor. spicy too, which ryan loves. thanks, jen.

Julie D. said...

oh and how fun is squeezing the tomatoes with your hands?! :)

Julie D. said...

pss---it was a tad too spicy for my kiddos and they like spicy---i think it was because I might have overdone it on the chipotle in adobo.

Jennifer said...

I forgot to say it's spicy. I usually make something else for my kids on nights I make chili. Sorry for not warning you.

Eryn said...

Hey Jen, this has become one of my favorite recipes! I make it alot. I love the pintos in it...I've never done that before. I'm making this tonight for my homegroup! Miss you Jen, and I can't wait to see you next week! Eryn